Sunday 20 March 2011

Oceania Champs Race Report

After an up and down season I have finished on the up! As the form had been so hit and miss all season I almost didnt go to the Oceania champs just out of Shepparton 2hrs drive from Melbourne. I arrived on Tuesday as Friday was race day, got a couple laps on the track and then spun (35km) from the track back to Shepparton on the flat boring road. The track had a climb that suited me and a couple sections of tec rocks with a big rock drop (that photos just dont do justice!) the other cool "NOT" part of the track was the grass climb/decent they mowed the day I arrived.

Race day was hot and sunny and with no shade on the track I knew how important it would be to keep cool and hydrated. Off the line I lost a bit of ground but put the hammer down and went around the out side on the first corner slotting in about 6th, I started trying to make my move up every chance I could but the Aussies dont give an inch so you have to fight for it. By mid race I was in 4th place with 5th on my tail and we could see the other three in places but they had a big gap on us, I was using a set of GEAX AKA 2.2 tyres and running them at 15psi which gave me all the grip I needed and meant I could ride through the rocky sections with ease. As we got to a rocky part of the climb (near the high point of the track) I opened up a gap and decided to try and make it stick as we only had a lap and a half to go. Shortly after that I was told Dan and Sid were just ahead of me, I spotted them on a couple parts soon after and started hunting them down. Starting the last lap they had about 20sec on me but that didnt take long to close down, Just before I caught them Sid attacked and got away from Dan. I had to jump past Dan just before the rocky section I had opened the gap on 5th the lap before and did the same to Dan, The rest of the lap I spent chasing Sid while keeping an eye over my shoulder on Dan. The last grass climb/decent I was sprinting chasing Sid while trying to hold off cramp and Dan to produce the 3rd fastest lap of the day and the only sub17min last lap to finish 3rd.
This was by far my best race of the year so far and my best Oceania champs race to date. Now I am having some much needed time off and looking to plan my next goals.

No comments: